Thursday, April 28, 2011

Major & Drastic Changes In My Life

I’ve lately made a drastic change in my life that has almost been as significant as my new marriage. It’s been the slow extinction of morning coffee. Anyone that knows me, knows that I love my morning coffee. Close friends know this, family members know this, my high school students know this. I am a TRUE addict. For the last few years, it’s been one particular type of coffee….McDonald’s. I love the rich, robust flavor. Well, for the last month, I’ve slowly given it up and not intentionally. In the past, I’ve thought about alternatives but nothing would sound appealing. Cold cereal….no. Cold yogurt…no. Cold orange/apple juice….no. I love WARMTH in the mornings! Oatmeal sounded good but so boring. A month ago, McDonald’s attached coupons for free oatmeal on their coffee cups. I decided to try it. I fell in love! Warmth plus raisins, apples, and cranberries. PERFECT! It’s a bit high in calories so I only eat half the portion. What’s better is that I usually am thirsty for water shortly after having it so my water intake has also increased. A good benefit!! I then googled oatmeal’s benefits (I am a Livestrong/My Plate website addict) and the benefits are exceedingly numerous! So after close to 40 years of “coffee closeness”, I am now learning to live without it. It’s still there and I usually treat myself to it on Saturday/Sunday mornings but as with my new husband, my new life, my new house…I have a new favorite morning beverage/food! Who would’ve thought?

No comments: