Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Achy Legs, John Calvin, and Love at 45

45 years old and being a newlywed has many highs, many challenges, and many joys. After being a single mom since 1997, I have to keep praying that Bobby continues to have unending patience with me. I have been on my own for sooooooo soooooo long and learning to trust, to lean, and to communicate my needs is extremely difficult. The union of 2 being made into 1....that is what I am learning.

Almighty God, we were lost from the beginning, when it pleased you to extend your hand and restore us to salvation for your Son's sake. Although we daily run headlong to our own ruin, we pray that our continual sin will not provoke you into withdrawing your mercy from us.... Through your Spirit, destroy the wickedness of our heart and restore us to a sound mind. -- John Calvin, adapted from his Commentary on Hosea

So aside from my newlywed comment. I am, today, suffering the after effects of minor stupidity on my part. So the background for this story is that I have been involved with TELPAS training and test administration for 3 days straight. It has been taxing and physically draining. So last night, I was ready to push the envelope on my daily run. I usually run 1.5 miles and I decided to challenge myself in order to peel off some of the tenseness and stress from the past week and a half. I ran. And ran. And then ran some more. 5 miles. I felt exilerated and high on adrenaline and so proud of myself! Unfortunately, during the evening my legs said otherwise! All night my legs throbbed. I slept very little as I tossed and turned with aches & pains. I arrived to school feeling every so groggy and dull minded as well as having throbbing leg muscles. I am so thankful I was not in the classroom because anyone who teaches knows that you have to be 100% on your toes when you teach!! Those students will hone in on whatever weakness you have in the first 5 second of class(especially high schoolers who will eat you up and spit you out)! I am so, so thankful that we had 1 hour free before beginning the TELPAS administration (for absentees). I was able to load up on coffee and sit blissfully in the library chairs. Ah bliss

Note to self. NEVER NEVER NEVER run for 5 miles straight!

No comments: