Friday, June 17, 2011

My Dad & Erma Bombeck

I was out running and praying and I began to think of my Dad and his influence on me. My sisters and I dwell a lot on my Mom and her influence but my Dad was as equally an influence on us. He was usually out working during the day and/or out working on the yard, out working on vehicles, out working in his garage BUT his influence was there just the same. It reminds me of the story that journalist, Erma Bombeck, tells and if you have never heard/read it, then google it:http://tassiedevil.tripod.com/papa.htm



My Dad's Influence on me:

1. My ability to be social and being attracted to FUNNY people...my Dad was ULtRA social and ultra funny! The epitome of a people person. My love of social settings and loving people who make me laugh comes from my father.

2. My ability to be a "trouble shooter/problem solver"....can you say 'duct tape'? Lol but very, very true. I grew up seeing my Dad solve any problem that came our way and using whatever was available. I find myself doing the same thing now.

3. My being "bold" when it comes to defending my children...I am RARELY bold but when it comes to my children then I see my Dad rise up in me. He was very protective of his 5 girls. Attack my children and you will see that I will become a 'lion' and this is because of my father.

4. My respect and love of the church....once my dad got saved, he deeply respected all things about church/clergy/God's Word and I love him deeply for it. I thank him for instilling that in me.

5. My love of adventure...my dad THRIVED on adventure (we traveled to practically every state in the United States!) and I am so glad he gave that to his daughters as well.

6. My pride in self.....he always praised us (whereas my mom "kept our feet planted on the ground") and instilled confidence and pride in us. He did NOT hold to the "machismo stereotype" in regards to women. His motto has always been "shoot for the moon". Thank you Dad.

7. My love of romance and being affectionate....my dad was the ultra romantic/affectionate one (my mom was the opposite) and I love, love, love that I grew up with a father who was always showing love to my mom in this way. I am also thankful that I have some of this in me as well. Thanks Dad.

8 My love of the outdoors/gardening....my dad always had a garden and was outdoors all the time. I am glad that I married a man who is the same way as my dad in this aspect. The outdoors is something that I thrive on which is due to my father.

9. My love of culture and ethnicity (both Mexican and American)....my dad taught us to love both our Mexican and American heritage. He knew that both were valuable and were things to be honored.

10. My love of travel.....i love traveling (especially by car!) and it's because my father took us EVERYWHERE (all over the country) with him and my mom. I love that we traveled in a truck with a camper (my dad, mom, and 5 girls!)and thus learned to love to embrace the "open road"!

I LOVE MY DAD!

No comments: